Friday, September 21, 2012
Who'll Win Emmy Awards?
I don't know if I'll actually watch much of the Emmy awards on Sunday night at 8 on CTV and ABC. That's because like the Oscars these things tend to go on and on.
And winning an Emmy is no guarantee of success --look at nominated Kathy Bates whose series Harry's Law has already been dumped by NBC for poor ratings.
Here are my predictions who'll win what in the big categories:
1. Best series actor nominees are: Steve Buscemi (Empire Boardwalk), Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Michael C. Hall (Dexter), Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey), Damian Lewis (Homeland), Jon Hamm (Mad Men).
First thoughts: I can't believe Hamm has never won for his amazing turn as Don Draper but there's always been Bryan Cranston just slightly ahead of him. And Cranston has never been better as BB nears its series end. I'd like Hamm to finally take it but voters have always been fixated on prestigious British drama so the winner might actually be Hugh Bonneville (DA).
2. Best series actress nominees are: Glenn Close (Damages), Michelle Dockery (Downton Abbey), Julianna Margulies (Good Wife), Kathy Bates (Harry's Law), Claire Danes (Homeland), Elizabeth Moss (Mad Men).
First thoughts: I 'd love Bates to nab it just to show NBC off. And Moss on Mad Men is a great pre-liberationist heroine. But really she should be in the supporting category. So I'm fearlessly predicting Claire Danes will take it.
3. Best drama series nominations are: Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, Game Of Thrones, Mad Men.
First Thoughts: I'm thinking it has to be Breaking Bad as it sails into the rerun sunset. But Emmy voters do like their Brit dramas.
4. Best comedy series actor nominations are: Jim Parsons (Big Bang Theory), Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm), Don cheadle (House Of Lies), Louis C.K. (Louie), Alec Baldwin (30 Rock), Jon Cryer (Two And A Half Men).
First thoughts: I think Parsons will take it but a part of me wants Larry David to get one just because his series has been operating on such a high level for so long.
5. Best comedy series actress nominations are: Zooey Deschannel (New Girl), Lena Dunham (Girls), Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie), Tina Fey (30 Rock), Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep), Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly), Amy Poehler (Parks And Recreation).
First thoughts: One of the most competitive categories, I just think Julia Louis-Dreyfus should and will take it.
6. Best comedy series nominations are: The Big Bang Theory, Curb Your enthusiasm, Girls, Modern Family, 30 Rock, Veep.
First thoughts: I just think Modern Family will take it.
7. Variety Series nominees are: The Colbert Report, The Daily Show With Jon Stewart, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Jimmy Fallon, Real Time With Bill Maher, Saturday Night Live.
First thoughts: Wait a minute! Colbert and Stewart are variety shows? Who knew. I think Jimmy Kimmel should take it, he's getting set to be moved to 11:35 where he'll go head to head with oldies Leno and Letterman both of whom are not nominated.
8. Movie/Miniseries nominees are: American Horror Story, Game Change, Hatfields & McCoys, Hemingway & Gelhorn, Luther, Sherlock, A Scandal In Belgravia.
First Thoughts: It just has to be American Horror Story, right? Hatfields & McCoys has an outside chance.